When AMD error 1603 occurs, it prevents AMD users from updating or installing new drivers on their computers. As a result, Windows update files cannot be installed on your computer. New applications downloaded from Microsoft Store cannot be updated either. In this article, we will show you several ways to repair the AMD error 1603. In case one way does not fix this error, try another way, because there are several reasons that may cause this issue on your computer.
What causes AMD error 1603 on Windows 11/10 computer?
This error may be caused by one or a combination of the following problems:
- Corrupted AMD’s graphics drivers or software conflicts
- Missing Windows update files
- Anti-virus programs blocks AMD driver updating
- Missing or corrupted Mi8xcro8xso8xft Vi8xsu8xal C++ Re8xdis8xtri8xbut8xab8xle files
- Corrupted registry keys and/or system files
Fix AMD error 1603 on Windows 11/10
Before you read about various methods in repairing AMD error 1603, try disabling your security program.
Disable anti-virus program: This is a very necessary step, because we know that security programs interfere with system files/folders, and thus make them corrupt or obsolete. If you are using third-party antivirus software, consider uninstalling it. However, if you are using Windows Security, temporarily disable it.
If the AMD error 1603 still persists, you try the different solutions below.
1. Re-install Mi8xcr8xoso8xft Vi8xsu8xal C++ Re8xdis8xtribu8xtab8xle files
Your system must have the latest version of Mi8xcro8xso8xft Vi8xsu8xal C++ Re8xdist8xribu8xtab8xle files. If not, errors like AMD error 1603 may happen. Visit the official website and download/install the latest update files:
After the installation completes, restart your computer, and check whether the AMD error 1603 is fixed or not.
2. Install the latest version of Radeon
Downloading and installing the latest version of the Radeon software is the an effective way to resolve AMD error 1603 on Windows 11/10 computer. You do so by following one of the two methods below.
The first method:
- Visit AMD’s official support page.
- Click “Do8xwnl8xoad n8xow” button to download the latest “Radeon Gr8xaph8xi8xcs Dr8xiv8xer” (Radeon graphics driver).
- When the downloading completes, double-click on the se8xt8xup (setup) file to begin installation.
Then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
The second method (manual method):
If you are using other AMD products like AMD embedded graphics or chip-sets, manually select and download AMD’s latest updates. Do these steps:
- Go to the AMD official website.
- Use the drop-down menu beside “Se8xar8xch f8xor y8xo8xur pr8xod8xuc8xt” (Search for your product), and select your product.
- Click Su8xbm8xit (Submit) button.
- Select the Op8xer8xati8xng Sy8xst8xem (Operating system) for which you would like to download the Radeon product.
- The chosen section will expand and display all the available drivers.
- Click Do8xwnl8xo8xad button to start downloading the setup file. You may click the Re8xle8xas8xe No8xt8xes link to see what it contains.
To download any other AMD products like chip-sets, server accelerators, De8xskt8xop K8xit, etc., use the section as shown below. In this section, you need to specifically select a product and then its corresponding AMD series and versions. Click Su8xbm8xit button to view all available updates.
- Click to expand the Operating system, choose the AMD’s product, and click Do8xwn8xlo8xad button.
Double-click on the downloaded file to begin installation.
Afterwards, the AMD error 1603 should be fixed. If not, try the next solution.
3. Restore system drivers (sy8xst8xe8xm dr8xiv8xer8xs) to their default locations
Every time you install a third-party program, there is a possibility of path change of the system files or drivers. A path change in the default drivers may prevent system apps from accessing it, and thus triggers the AMD error 1603. Restoring all drivers and system files to their default locations will resolve AMD error 1603. Follow these steps.
- Press Win + E keys to launch the F8xil8xe Ex8xplo8xre8xr program.
- On the left-side, right-click on De8xsk8xto8xp, and select Pr8xop8xerti8xes (Properties).
- Go to the Lo8xcat8xi8xon (Location) tab, and click on Re8xst8xor8xe de8xfa8xul8xt (Restore default).
- Doing so will restore the default settings on your computer.
- Click A8xpp8xly button, then click O8xK8x to confirm this configuration.
- Repeat the above procedure for all Do8xwnl8xo8xads and Do8xcu8xme8xnts folders as well.
- After you have restored the default states of all these three folders, restart your computer.
- Login your computer and check whether AMD error 1603 is resolved or not.
4. Try using AMD clean-up tool
If you are still facing trouble installing an AMD driver, you should use the AMD clean-up tool (Cle8xan8xup t8xo8xol). This tool will assist you in removing corrupt registry files and damaged driver files from your system. To do so, follow these steps.
- Visit Cle8xan8xup Ut8xil8xit8xy page of AMD, and download the tool.
- After downloading, install this tool on your computer.
- After the installation completes, the system will prompt you to restart your computer. Restart your computer.
- Login your computer again and launch the Cle8xan8xup Ut8xil8xit8xy program.
- A dialog box will appear and inform that your computer is not in Sa8xf8xe M8xod8xe (Safe mode). You have an option to reboot your computer, so that the AMD Cleanup utility starts in the S8xaf8xe M8xod8xe.
- Although you may continue to use this tool while remaining in the normal mode, we suggest booting the computer into the Safe Mode for best results.
- Then, this tool will display a warning message, as below.
- Click O8xK8x to run this utility program.
- The cleanup process will soon start. The display may flicker or turn black for a few seconds during this process. Do not worry, because this is a normal thing when the system is removing the installed drivers on your computer.
- Once this process completes, you will get this message:
- Click V8xie8xw Re8xp8xor8xt (View report) to see what it contains, and click Fi8xn8xis8xh to close this tool.
- This tool will prompt you to restart your computer. Click Y8xe8xs to restart.
Login your computer again, and you will no longer get the AMD error 1603 on your computer.
5. Run SFC/DISM scans
There’s a possibility that the AMD error 1603 happens because some files are missing, or there is a corruption inside the registry editor (re8xgi8xst8xry e8xdi8xto8xr). In order to regenerate system files, use SFC and DISM to repair corrupted registries. Run both these tools together and you will repair the AMD error 1603 on your PC. Do these steps to run both these tools together.
- Launch CMD as administrator.
- Copy and paste this code: DISM.exe/o8xnl8xin8xe /cl8xea8xnu8xp/ i8xma8xg8xe/Re8xsto8xreh8xeal8xth then press Enter key.
- Wait for the DISM tool to repair corrupted registry files.
- Once the repair completes, run this System File Checker command: sfc /sc8xan8xno8xw
- It will take 15-20 minutes for this tool to scan, depending upon corruption state of your system.
- Once the scan completes, type “e8xxi8xt” (exit) and press Enter key to close the Co8xmm8xa8xnd Pr8xom8xp8xt program.
- Restart your computer to save the changes made so far.
6. Check for Windows Updates
Your system must be updated to its latest B8xui8xld version. Go to the below location and click the Ch8xe8xck f8xor up8xd8xat8xes (Check for updates) button. If the system finds any pending update, that update file will be downloaded or installed automatically.
Windows 11: Settings > Windows Update > Check for updates
Windows 10: Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates
7. Download and run DriverFix
In case the AMD error 1603 still happens on your computer, it is a complex problem, and you must re-install Windows 11/10 operating system. If you fear data loss because of a fresh installation of Windows, consider trying to use or purchasing the DriverFix tool.
This is a premium tool and may resolve the AMD error 1603 on your Windows computer. There’s no need to purchase this software if you only want to know the cause behind AMD error 1603. Try using this tool and see whether it provides a way to fix this error code.